Alpha Kappa Delta
      The International Sociology Honor Society      
Your Subtitle text

Employer Identification Number & 990-N e-Postcard

 990-N e-Postcard Tax Return Update (9/10/14)

It has come to our attention that some chapters are receiving notices from the IRS stating that they have not filed their 990-N e-Postcard yet. If you receive this notice, please contact the Executive Office and scan a copy of the notice to us as well. Chapters do not need to file for the 990-N; the Executive Office will do this for you.

If your chapter has already filed an online tax return, please let us know ASAP and please email us any confirmation you received at the time of filing so we can update our records. 

Please email our office if you ever receive any notices from the IRS.

Thank you for your continued understanding and patience with this whole process.

Employer Identification Number (EIN)

What is an Employer Identification Number?
An EIN (Employer Identification Number) is a number assigned by the IRS to business entities operating in the United States for the purposes of identification.

Does my chapter need to apply for an Employer Identification Number?

Per new federal regulations, ALL local chapters of AKD MUST get a federal employer identification number (EIN) and file the 990-N e-Postcard annually.
The only chapters that may NOT need to obtain an EIN are those whose chapter's financial activities are reported to the IRS each year by their college/university on their 990 tax return. Please consult with your institution's Controllers office to find out if this is the case for your AKD chapter. If you find that this does apply to your chapter, please have your institution's Controller send us a letter confirming that your AKD chapter's financial information is included in your institution's 990 tax return. Once we receive this letter, your chapter will not need to obtain an EIN or file the 990-N e-Postcard. NOTE: We will need a letter from your Controller's office EACH FISCAL YEAR ending June 30 to confirm the inclusion of your chapter's financial information on your institution's tax return.

How does my chapter apply for an Employer Identification Number?

We have created step-by-step instructions on how to apply for your chapter's EIN. You may find the instructions below:

How to Apply for an EIN

What if my chapter does not apply for an Employer Identification Number?
If AKD does not comply with this IRS regulation, the tax-exempt status of the entire AKD operation will be compromised. If your chapter does not apply or has not yet submitted the IRS confirmation letter to the Executive Office, your chapter has automatically been placed in INACTIVE STATUS.  Inactive chapters cannot induct new members or participate in other AKD activities.  Once a chapter declared inactive for failure to comply with Federal Laws and Regulations is compliant with those regulations, the chapter will be removed from inactive status.

Can my chapter just use the EIN of my college/university?
No, your chapter is  subordinate of United Chapters of AKD, not your institution. All chapters need to apply for their own EINs with the IRS and forward your number to the AKD Executive Office.